Sunday, May 10, 2015

Shipping Confessions: Coulson/Skye (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.)

I am a Joss Whedon fan. Yes, I am a Whedonite. So when I heard about Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. it wasn't merely it expanding on the MCU that interested me about it, but the fact that Whedon was in charge of it. As a Whedonite I have to check everything out by him and I haven't been disappointed by him once (I'll finally get to watching all of Dollhouse, I promise, very nerdy reason I didn't before but that's for another post).

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. follows the adventures, and misadventures, of Phil Coulson's team. For the first season the big mystery was how Coulson was alive. Now that that has been answered there are still a lot of mysteries to be solved.

Now I guess one of my things with ships is the whole master/apprentice relationship. I don't know why, but I really enjoy those dynamics in ships. Such is the case with the non-canon ship I'll be talking about today.

I will be talking about the non-canon pairing of Phil Coulson and Skye/Daisy Johnson today.
Skye, whose real name is later revealed to be Daisy Johnson, grew up never knowing her family. A big part of her story was her figuring out who her family was. That answer didn't turn out to be for the better as Calvin, a mentally unstable man, turned out to be her father. Though she eventually did warm up to him.  Jiaying, leader of the Inhumans, turned out to be her mother and appeared benevolent at first. While Jiaying has her people's best interests at heart, those interests aren't always the same as Skye's.

Skye started out the show as a novice who wasn't that good in a fight. As the series went on, with help from both Ward and May, she grew into a formidable fighter. So that when she went through the mist and gained her Inhuman abilities, she got even more ways to kick ass.

Currently in the show she is having to choose between her biological family and her family in all but blood.
Phil Coulson was first introduced in Iron Man 2 and then later he died in The Avengers. For Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. he was brought back to life and the majority of the first season was solving the mystery of how Coulson was alive again. There were many different fan theories, I think I might've done a blog post on one myself, and it was finally revealed that Coulson was brought back via a program. One that he, himself, was no longer in favor of.

Coulson started leading his own team and eventually landed himself in the position of Director of S.H.I.E.L.D. Because of his new position he started being a little more distant, though he has recently become more of his goofy and kick-ass old self. Full of one one-liners and awesome zingers.

Coulson cares for his team and, no matter what he hides, he cares about people. No one is perfect and being a leader is a very hard task indeed.
Phil Coulson and Skye work well together as a team. I was very glad that her possibly being a traitor to S.H.I.E.L.D. was quickly proven wrong early in the show. This left more than enough time for actual important things for the plot.

Coulson recruits Skye for S.H.I.E.L.D. and tends to be her biggest supporter on the show. In the latest episode ("Scars"), it is decided that Coulson can't negotiate with the Inhumans because of his closeness to Skye. So here's a man who can't be trusted with an important decision because of how fondly he thinks of an Inhuman.

One of the reasons Skye wasn't in a good mood during the start of Season 2 was that her closeness to Coulson had seemed to have gone away. As the Director of S.H.I.E.L.D., Coulson's priorities had changed so it is easy to see why close friendships were going away.

Coulson seems to be the one big reason why Skye won't easily go with the Inhumans 'S.H.I.E.L.D. is evil and all humans are lower than us' viewpoint. It is her love, and knowledge, of Coulson that makes her unable to easily side fully with the Inhumans.

What will I talk about in the next Shipping Confessions? Next Shipping Confessions I will look at an Andalite aristh and the human woman that he runs away with with from Animorphs.
 --------------------------------------------------
Shipping Confessions Table of Contents

No comments:

Post a Comment